I love banana bread. Seriously, I love the stuff, and I haven’t met a version yet that I didn’t like. Throw in nuts, applesauce, chocolate chips or whatever you’d like–and I’m still a fan. Since we had lots of overripe bananas in the house that needed to be taken care of, stat, I decided to change things up and make a chocolate version of our favorite recipe instead. I hope you enjoy this Chocolate Banana Bread as much as we do!
By the way, this is a totally kid-friendly recipe. My little guy helped mash the bananas (and ate quite a bit of them), and helped mix all the ingredients together. I wanted to snap some pictures of him while he was doing it, but do you ever have moments that you want to savor in the present rather than capture for the future? Yeah, it was like that.
Anyway, here’s the recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread. Enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Bread
Yield 12 -16 servings
- ½ c. butter, melted
- 1 c. sugar
- 4 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ c. milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs, mashed bananas, milk and vanilla, and mix well.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and cinnamon with a whisk.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture slowly, stirring until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
You can easily make this recipe your own by adding in white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, nuts, or loads of other additions. If you try it, tell me what you think!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- 10 Thanksgiving Traditions to Start With Your Family This Year - October 18, 2018
- 10 Fun and Romantic Summer Date Ideas on a Budget - April 28, 2017
- Sports Valentines Printables – Candy Free Valentine’s Day Ideas - February 7, 2016