Do you know what I miss the most when eating low carb? It isn’t the sweets, although I do miss some sugary treats. But I’m more of a savory foods person. I miss my favorite comfort foods, especially soup. I decided to make one of my favorites–stuffed pepper soup–a little more carb friendly, and it’s seriously one of the most simple low carb meals you can make.
I made a few changes to the traditional version to get a little more flavor into this healthier makeover. First, I used ground pork instead of ground beef. Second, I substituted rice for the cauliflower. I promise, you won’t even miss the rice. It’s that good.
Low Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup
Yield 6 servings
This low carb stuffed pepper soup is just as flavorful as the traditional version. Get all the yumminess of one of your favorite comfort foods without all the carbs.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 1 tbsp Spenda
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese for topping
- Add the ground pork, onions and peppers to a large pot. Cook until meat is browned and veggies are tender. Drain and put back into the pot.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth and tomato sauce. Stir.
- Rice the cauliflower in your food processor or blender. Add to tomato and meat mixture in pot.
- Season with Splenda, minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let soup simmer on low-medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
Seriously, it’s tasty. Even my soup-hating husband enjoys this dish.
Adapted from Grace2882’s Stuffed Pepper Soup.
For more low carb recipes, sign up for my weekly newsletter!
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- 10 Thanksgiving Traditions to Start With Your Family This Year - October 18, 2018
- 10 Fun and Romantic Summer Date Ideas on a Budget - April 28, 2017
- Sports Valentines Printables – Candy Free Valentine’s Day Ideas - February 7, 2016