In addition to pumpkin everything, I’m also one of those people who’s into apple cider everything. I didn’t care much for it as a kid, but it’s one of my favorite drinks as an adult, for mostly sentimental reasons. Every year, the pioneer park where my husband and I were married hosts a pioneer Christmas. They have old-fashioned caroling, hot apple cider, tours of the museum and cabins and some old-fashioned crafts for the kids, too. It’s a blast, and we try to go every year. And, of course, their apple cider is delicious.
These apple cider donuts from our contributor Carla have the same great flavor and a good zing of sweetness to boot. It may not be as easy as driving to a store to pick up a box, but when you have a fresh, warm donut in your hand, you won’t mind the extra “work” of making them yourself.
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1½ c. apple cider
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3½ c. all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 c. vegetable oil for frying
- Line baking sheet with parchment. Line a large plate with paper towels.
- In a paper bag, combine 1 cup sugar and 1 tbsp. cinnamon. Shake to mix. Set aside.
- Bring cider to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix baking powder, salt, 1 cup flour and remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk butter, eggs, yolk and cooled cider.
- Add cider mixture to flour mixture; mix until smooth.
- Add remaining 2½ cups flour and mix. Dough will be sticky. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Pour oil into a large pot and heat oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 375ºF.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to 1” thick. Cut out donuts with cookie cutter. Makes about 24 Donuts.
- Carefully place doughnuts into hot oil. After about 1 minute, doughnuts will rise to surface and begin to brown. turn over and fry 1½ minutes longer. Transfer to lined plate to drain.
- When doughnuts have cooled for 1 minute, add to plate with cinnamon sugar and toss to coat.
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- Laundry Guide + Bathroom Cleaning Checklist for Teens - June 13, 2017
- 17 Fun Paper Plate Crafts for Summer - June 12, 2017
- 16 Campfire Recipes to Feed a Hungry Family - May 31, 2017