Have you ever seen a child (or heck, even an adult) treat others rudely in public? I know I have. And while we may not have impeccable manners–I’m still not sure which pieces of silverware go where at a formal dinner–I’d like to think that we’re polite people. Teaching our son manners is very important to us. At three, he’s great with please, thank you, and you’re welcome. But we still have some work to do, especially with regard to sharing and interrupting others. If you’re trying to help your child be more polite, here are 17 brilliant books for teaching kids manners.
1. Manners at the Table – So important. You don’t want a lip smacker, do you?
2. Dude, That’s Rude! – Hilarious. It’s a great way to teach manners by using humor.
3. Richard Scarry’s Please and Thank You Book – Here are the essentials!
4. Manners Can Be Fun – Indeed.
5. A Smart Girl’s Guide: Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best – A great guide from the American Girls series.
6. Manners in Public – How many kids (and even adults) have you seen who could use this?
7. How to Speak Politely & Why – Knowing the why helps kids realize the importance of good manners.
8. Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners – Love this cute spin on the phrase, “Do unto others…”
9. May I Please Have a Cookie? – To get what you want, you must ask nicely!
10. Excuse Me: A Little Book of Manners – A cute option for tots.
11. My Mouth Is a Volcano! – About a boy who can’t stop talking, even when others are talking. His mouth is a volcano that erupts at the worst times!
12. Oops, Sorry!: A First Book of Manners – Start them early!
13. The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners – A classic! I learned so much from the Berenstain bears as a kid.
14. Soup Should Be Seen, Not Heard! – Slurrrrrp! If you have trouble with slurping at the dinner table, try this one!
15. Emily Post’s The Guide to Good Manners for Kids – Who better to advise children on manners?
16. Manners Mash-Up: A Goofy Guide to Good Behavior – This touches on a little bit of everything when it comes to manners.
17. Achoo: Good Manners Can Be Contagious – So true. Be a good example, and everyone will be more polite!
Do you have a favorite manners book? Share it in the comments–I’m always looking for great resources for our little guy.
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- 10 Thanksgiving Traditions to Start With Your Family This Year - October 18, 2018
- 10 Fun and Romantic Summer Date Ideas on a Budget - April 28, 2017
- Sports Valentines Printables – Candy Free Valentine’s Day Ideas - February 7, 2016