Easy Baked Rice with mushrooms is the perfect side dish to so many of your dinners. Pop it in the oven while you are fixing your main dish and the rice will be ready when you are.
Finding a dish that the whole family loves can be a difficult task at times. I love rice, but in my family, rice has not be a favorite side. Needless to say, I have tried various rice recipes hoping to finally come up with the perfect recipe. I know that I have found it in this recipe.
Rice is such a versatile grain and that is one of the reasons I love it so much. I would pair this baked rice with mushrooms and onions with fish, chicken or beef. Many of us have rice in our pantry which makes this dish even easier. I just love it when I can “shop” from my pantry and not have to stop at the store to pick up items for dinner.
There are a couple of tips I would like to share with you when making this rice with mushrooms and onion.
- Place the serving dish on a baking sheet before you add the boiling broth to it. It will be easier to transfer to the oven and easier to take out also.
- This is a great dish to make the day before you know you have a busy day and won’t have time in the kitchen. It will stay well in the refrigerator and will heat up in the microwave and no one will know if wasn’t taken fresh from the oven.
- When you add the thyme, put it in your hand and crush it a little. It will bring the flavor out.
This rice dish is an inexpensive dish that will fit easily in your budget. It is healthy too. The amount of fat used to sauté the onion and mushroom is minimal and the amount of calories in the broth and rice are also low.
Easy Baked Rice with Mushrooms
This easy baked rice with mushrooms dish, will be your new favorite side.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice you can substitute brown rice, but the cooking time will change
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F.
- Place rice into shallow 2- to 3-quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-5 minutes until onion is tender. Add mushrooms and cook 1 - 2 more minutes. Add broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil; pour over rice.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is done.