Ready to have some Halloween fun and improve your word unscrambling skills at the same time? This cute Halloween word scramble is a great activity for a Halloween party or a fun classroom activity. It’s easy enough for kids, but even grown-ups will enjoy this quick and easy printable Halloween game. It’s a great way to fill the time on October 31st before you head out with the kids to go trick-or-treating.
Halloween Word Jumble
This cute Halloween-themed word scramble is made up of 15 jumbled words, all related to this spooky holiday. It’s perfect for kids, though there are a couple of challenging words, so it’s best for kids in grades 2 and up.
Halloween Word Scramble Answer Key
We think you can complete this word jumble all on your own, but everyone needs a little help now and then. If you or the kids get stuck on a word, use our answer key (grab it below) to figure it out.
Can You Play Word Games as a Group?
Sure, you can. Printable word games are fun to play alone, but you can have an even better time playing them in a group! To play this Halloween word scramble in a group, set a timer for 1-5 minutes, depending on the ages and skill level of the people playing. For children, you’ll likely want to set the timer for 5-10 minutes. Teens and adults can solve the word jumbles in about a minute or two.
Once the timer is set, have everyone turn their papers over and begin. When the time is up, the person with the most correct answers wins! If you have more than one winner, offer both of them a prize or put their names in a bowl and draw one to determine the final winner.
Tips for Unscrambling Words
If you’ve never had much luck with word scrambles, they can seem a little intimidating. My son had this problem, too. He just didn’t know where to start. These tips will help you unscramble those words in no time!
- Start by looking for common words, prefixes, and suffixes that can be made with the letters on your paper.
- Keep the general category in mind. For instance, this is a Halloween word game, so you’ll look for words related to all things spooky and scary!
- Keep the vowels in mind, as this will help you to arrange the letters. Remember, vowels are a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y.
- Remember common consonant pairings. S and T are often together. So are F and R, P and H, B and L, B and R, and so on. That can often help you start off your words, and it’s a cinch from there.
Halloween Themed Prizes for Games
Here are some great, inexpensive prizes for a Halloween party. We’ve listed non-candy options, because, let’s face it, we all get enough candy during this holiday!
We’ve included affiliate links for your convenience, but you’ll find lots of these things at the Dollar Tree or party stores on the cheap.
- Halloween pencils – encourage writing by making it fun!
- Halloween stamps, bouncy balls, etc. are all in this toy assortment
- Halloween stickers – put them on folders, notebooks, doors
- Halloween bracelets – snap bracelets are so much fun! Even adults love them.
- Temporary tattoos – always a hit with the kids
Grab the Free Printable Halloween Word Jumble
Ready to get started? Grab the Halloween word jumble HERE or by clicking on the image below. Both the printable Halloween word game and the answer key are included in the PDF. All you need is your printer and some pens or pencils, and you’re ready to rock. Use that noggin to unscramble some Halloween words today!
The answer key is on page 2 of the PDF! Please make sure your download includes both pages.
If you like printable Halloween games, you’ll also want to try our printable Halloween Bingo game! It’s also great for your spooky festivities.
Need party food ideas? Check out these spooky Halloween cookies!