Shaving is necessary, but it’s tough on your skin. Whether you’re shaving your legs or your hubby is shaving his face, you’re both likely left with bumps, redness and skin irritation. Want to soothe razor burn and skin irritation after shaving? Try this moisturizing, hydrating homemade aftershave lotion. It’s naturally scented with essential oils, so your skin will feel smooth and smell amazing.
Recipe for Homemade Aftershave Lotion
Dry skin is notorious in our family… we all have it. We have to be careful about the skin care products that we put on our skin, and we’ve often found that homemade products (like our homemade laundry detergent and lemon body scrub) are gentler.
Try it for yourself! Your skin will thank you.
Supplies for the Homemade Aftershave Lotion
- 3 tablespoons beeswax
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1 teaspoon witch hazel (alcohol-free version is recommended)
- 1/4 cup solid coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera Gel
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1-2 tablespoons egg whites (optional)
- Airtight container
You may be wondering… Why use the lavender, rosemary and peppermint essential oils in this homemade aftershave lotion?
- Lavender essential oil calms the skin, reduces skin irritation and can help with acne and eczema.
- Rosemary essential oil is a wonderful addition because of its anti-aging and anti-inflammatory benefits. It also helps diminish acne and fight sun damage.
- Peppermint oil has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. It also helps cool the skin and reduces skin irritation.
Instructions for the Homemade Aftershave Lotion
Step 1 – Add beeswax and shea butter to a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until ingredients are completely melted.
Step 2 – Add coconut oil, witch hazel, aloe vera, jojoba oil, and lavender, rosemary and peppermint essential oils to bowl.
Step 3 – Whisk ingredients together and place in refrigerator for at least two hours.
Step 4 – Remove from fridge, and use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the mixture for 1 minute until thick, smooth and creamy.
Step 5 (Optional) – Add egg whites and beat the mixture for another 1-2 minutes. This will make the homemade aftershave lotion even fluffier. Note, this step is completely optional. Egg whites are great for tightening your skin and closing pores. However, if you’d rather leave them out, that’s fine, too! I do recommend omitting the egg whites if you plan to gift this to someone.
Step 6 – Add mixture to airtight containers. If you use egg whites, keep the aftershave in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This homemade aftershave lotion will stay fresh for several weeks or more in a sealed container. To use it, apply after shaving, and massage into the skin until absorbed.
If you enjoyed this homemade aftershave lotion, you should also try the following natural DIYs:
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- Easy Vegan Black Bean and Corn Chili - March 12, 2019
- Baked Strawberry Oatmeal – Vegan and Plant Based - March 7, 2019
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies – Vegan - March 1, 2019