Looking for a low-carb appetizer that’s a real crowd-pleaser? Try these low carb mozzarella sticks. They’re easy to make, and everyone at your party or get-together will love them, whether they’re watching their carbs or not!
A few weeks ago, I scoured the web for low-carb appetizers to make for our friends’ Super Bowl party. And while I didn’t make them then, I pinned some yummy-looking mozzarella sticks to try later. And I’m so glad that I did! Here’s how you can make your own low carb mozzarella sticks without bread crumbs.
Why You Should Make These Cheese Sticks Without Breadcrumbs
- They’re easy to make.
- Everyone will love them even if they’re not low-carbing.
- They’re delicious. Seriously, you’ll find it hard to stop eating them.
- You can make them ahead of time.
Ingredients for Low Carb Cheese Sticks
First, you’ll need some Parmesan cheese (affiliate link) in a shaker. We only had the shredded stuff, which we use often for making simple low carb meals, but the powdered kind will serve you much better for this recipe. I had to put the shredded cheese in the blender to make crumbs, whereas the powdery kind is already crumb-like.
I was also out of Italian Seasoning (affiliate link). Can you tell we’ve been snowed in? So, I had to make my own.
Of course, you’ll need some string cheese, eggs (to roll the string cheese in before the Parmesan topping), and oil to cook them in.
Anyway, here’s the low carb recipe for the mozzarella sticks. They’re delicious with my marinara sauce, so be sure to take a look at that recipe, too.
- 8 string cheeses, cut in half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, the powdered kind
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Mix Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and minced garlic in a medium bowl.
- Dip each string cheese into the egg mixture and then into the cheese mixture.
- Dip the string cheese in the egg mixture and roll it in the cheese crumbs again.
- Press the cheese crumbs into the cheese using your fingers.
- Place the coated string cheese into the freezer for one hour.
- Pour about half a cup of oil into a frying pan, and let it get HOT.
- Place 4-5 string cheese halves into the pan.
- Cook until golden brown on all sides.
- If the crumb mixture falls off the string cheese, wait until the oil is hotter.
Serving Size:4 mozzarella sticks
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 843mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 23g
This recipe was adapted from The Busy Broad. She has great tips about making sure the oil is hot enough. She also made the crumbs stick by rolling the coated sticks around in her hands, but that didn’t work for me. It just stuck to my hands. It might work for you, though!
If you liked this recipe for low carb mozzarella sticks, you’ll love the marinara sauce to go with them!