I love homemade meatballs. But what I really love is a delicious sauce to go on top. To me, the sauce can take a meatball from good to out-of-this-world amazing. When I make meatballs, they’re savory and a little spicy. So, my marinara sauce needs to be sweet. This sweet marinara sauce fits the bill for any savory meatball or pasta dish you’d want to use it for.
Sweet Marinara Sauce for Meatballs and Pasta
Yield 8 servings
This sweet sauce is perfect for savory meatballs or a flavorful pasta dish.
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 6 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. Splenda or sugar
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, herbs and spices to a food processor or blender. Pulse until mostly smooth.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in olive oil for two minutes. Add the tomato mixture and chicken broth to the skillet.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Splenda or sugar, simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
You can garnish the sauce with parsley, basil or an herb of your choice. I would have used fresh parsley, but I was all out. So, you got dried basil leaves. Pour this sauce over some tasty meatballs, or serve it up with some pasta. It’s thick and hearty enough to stand on it’s own, but you can also add some meat to the sauce if you don’t feel like going to the trouble of meatballs.
Tomorrow I’ll post our favorite meatball recipe (they’re low carb…and they’re delicious as a breakfast meatball or for dinner)!
For more recipes like this, sign up for the weekly newsletter.
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- 10 Thanksgiving Traditions to Start With Your Family This Year - October 18, 2018
- 10 Fun and Romantic Summer Date Ideas on a Budget - April 28, 2017
- Sports Valentines Printables – Candy Free Valentine’s Day Ideas - February 7, 2016