Last week, I wanted to make riced cauliflower, but unfortunately, we didn’t have any of the fresh stuff. We often by frozen bags of cauliflower for steaming in the microwave, so I wondered if I could still make riced cauliflower despite the moisture from the frozen stuff. I did, and it was delicious.
While I’ll always prefer the fresh stuff because it’s drier and fries up better, this absolutely works in a pinch for any of your simple low carb meals. It’s also great if you’re on a budget, because the bags of frozen cauliflower can often be bought for a buck, while a head of frozen cauliflower is around $3 or more here. Either way, it’s a win-win.
I didn’t snap a picture of the ingredients, because by this time, my husband was bemoaning the fact that he was “starving.” I just rushed through it and served it up with these low-carb meatloaf muffins.
Here’s the recipe. Use it. Eat it. Yum.
Savory Riced Cauliflower - Low Carb Side Dish
Yield 4 servings
This low carb side dish can be made from frozen cauliflower. It has a savory flavor that pairs well with meatloaf and other comfort foods.
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Defrost the frozen cauliflower by running warm water over it. Drain well, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Put the cauliflower in your food processor, or use your blender on the "chop" setting. Pulse a couple of times until the cauliflower is small like rice.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet. Add cauliflower, onions and carrots. Cook until veggies are almost done.
- Season with 1 tsp. seasoned salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Cook for a few more minutes until the cauliflower starts to brown, stirring frequently.
Courses Side Dish, Low Carb
Want more low carb recipes? Subscribe to the newsletter to get them in your inbox every week!
If you liked this post, you’ll LOVE this recipe for low carb meatloaf muffins!
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- 10 Thanksgiving Traditions to Start With Your Family This Year - October 18, 2018
- 10 Fun and Romantic Summer Date Ideas on a Budget - April 28, 2017
- Sports Valentines Printables – Candy Free Valentine’s Day Ideas - February 7, 2016