Comfort food doesn’t have to be full of carbs. This Low Carb Sausage and Spinach Casserole tastes like a delicious lasagna, but by skipping the noodles, you save all those unnecessary carbs. It’s not short on flavor, though! With sausage, spinach, peppers, onions and lots of cheese, your whole family will love it whether they’re on a low carb diet or not! It’s just one of our simple low carb meals that we can eat again and again.
People tend to think that when you’re on a low carb diet, you have to give up your favorite foods. That’s so not the case. With a few modifications or low carb substitutions, you can have just about anything you want.
Take this low carb sausage and spinach casserole, for example. My kids love it over pasta (and admittedly, so do I). But when I’m watching my carbs and don’t have any low carb pasta on hand, I eat it straight from the bowl. No pasta needed — it’s absolutely delicious without it.
And what better way to get your kids to eat a ton of veggies in one dish? I love sneaking in spinach where I can, and trust me, they don’t even notice it’s there. It blends right in with all that ooey, gooey cheese and savory meat.
But I know what you’re waiting for: the recipe! Here it is. Make it ASAP… You won’t regret it!
Low Carb Sausage and Spinach Casserole
- 1 pound Italian sausage links hot or sweet, or a mixture, quartered
- 1 can of diced tomato
- 1 cup medium-sized red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup medium-sized green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup medium onion cut in thin wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 pound Ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Cook the sausage as directed.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers and onion and simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Add salt and pepper.
- In a bowl whisk together the Ricotta cheese and eggs until smooth.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and spinach.
- Fill casserole dish layering sauce from meat, spinach mixture, meat & sauce, etc.
- Add mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake till heated through, approximately 30 minutes.
Look at all that melted cheese, big hunks of meat and piles of veggies. You don’t get much better than that.
For more delicious low carb dinner ideas, check out these posts: