Yesterday, I made spicy pork chops for dinner, and we needed a side with great flavor that wouldn’t overpower the chops. This rice turned out perfectly, so I’m sharing it with you today!
Normally, we prefer a low-carb side, like the savory riced cauliflower that I shared a couple of months ago. But since we we’ve been eating down the pantry, the pickings were slim. We always have white rice on hand, though, because I use it frequently for the kiddo’s sensory bins.
This combination of seasonings will also work well for brown rice, jasmine rice or even cauliflower with some adjustments.
Savory Seasoned Rice
Yield 8 servings
This savory seasoned rice pairs perfectly with pork and other meat dishes. The seasoning combination will work well with white, brown, wild or jasmine rice!
- 2 c. white rice (or brown, jasmine, or wild rice)
- 4 c. water (or as directed on the rice package)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. regular salt
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- Cook onions and garlic in butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until onions are tender and a little brown.
- Add rice, water and the seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Let sit 5 minutes, and fluff with a fork before serving.
Courses Side Dish
It turned out beautifully, and the recipe made a TON of rice. We still have plenty left in the fridge for meals for the rest of the week.
What’s your favorite side dish to pair with pork? I’d love some more suggestions!
If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy the ones below, too!