You don’t have to go camping or build a bonfire to enjoy the flavor of s’mores. Bake these delicious little cupcakes instead. They’re easy to make, and the flavor is much closer than any other smores cupcake recipe I’ve tried thanks to the layers of Graham cracker and marshmallow inside the chocolate cupcake.
Smores Cupcake Recipe with a Marshmallow Center
We love going camping as a family, and one of the best parts is always making s’mores. But what’s a girl to do when she’s missing the flavor of that yummy campfire dessert and is nowhere near the woods?
Sure, I could pop some graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey bars in the microwave to make simple s’mores. But when I’m craving something more decadent (and a little less messy), I make this smores cupcake recipe instead.
And doesn’t it make it a little more fun that you’re actually stuffing marshmallows into these cupcakes instead of using marshmallow fluff? I guess I’m just a S’mores purist.
So, remember to leave enough room after adding the chocolate cake layers to stuff half of a marshmallow inside the cupcakes. You can get more details on this process in the printable recipe card below.
These layered s’mores cupcakes would be the perfect dessert for a camping themed birthday party or sleepover.
Tip: If you want to speed things up, you can substitute your favorite prepared chocolate cake mix instead of making the cake from scratch.
Layered S'mores Cupcakes
Yield 16 cupcakes
Get the flavor of your favorite campfire dessert in these yummy (and easy!) layered s'mores cupcakes.
- 1 1/3 C. flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 C. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. milk
- 1 sleeve of graham crackers
- 8 large marshmallows, cut in half
- 6 pack of Hershey bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line (2) 12 count muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Combine the softened butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Slow fold in the dry ingredients.
- Carefully break a graham cracker into 8 equal squares.
- Place one graham cracker square in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cupcake batter into the muffin wells.
- Place another small graham cracker square on top of the cupcake batter.
- Cover the second graham cracker square being careful to not overfill (you want to leave some room for the marshmallow)
- Place in the oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place one marshmallow half on top of each cupcake – you may need to gently press them in a bit.
- Place back in the oven from another 8 minutes to allow the cupcakes to finish baking.
- Remove from the oven and place one small Hershey’s chocolate on top of each cupcake.
Don’t forget your cupcake liners for this recipe. They make cleanup so much easier! Silicone baking cups are another good option if you want to create less waste and have a reusable product that you won’t have to buy over and over again.
If you liked this smores cupcake recipe, you should also try:
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- How to Clean a Glass Stove Top with Ingredients From Your Cupboard - May 28, 2019
- 5 Time Management Tips for Stay at Home Moms - May 20, 2019
- Best Ways to Clean Window Tracks - May 13, 2019