With winter here, I can’t help but crave soup. Hot, filling delicious… what’s not to love? But not every soup out there is healthy for you. My favorite soup is baked potato soup, but my goodness… the carbs… the fat! When I need a low-calorie option that’s not going to break my calorie budget for the day, I go to this Spicy Black Bean Soup recipe. You can have it on your table in about 35 minutes or so to feed your hungry family fast.
Quick and Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipe
The first time I ever made this, my husband said something along the lines of “Black Bean Soup… yeah, that sounds REAL good.” But a couple bites in, and he was hooked. Can you believe he had never tried black bean soup before because he thought it would be boring?
Not so, friends! Not only does it taste good, but you get a nice dose of protein and a bit of fiber to boot.
I do apologize for the oiliness in the picture. I spilled a bit too much olive oil in the pan while cooking the carrots, onions, and garlic, and I just didn’t bother pouring it out. Lesson learned for the next soup pictures we do!
This soup is delicious topped with sour cream, a little bit of cheese and some chopped fresh tomatoes. Add some crushed tortilla chips too if you’re not worried about the calories or have a few to spare, but really, it’s delicious without those things.
Spicy Black Bean Soup
Yield 6 servings
This black bean soup recipe is so easy to throw together on a busy weeknight! It's hot, hearty and so comforting!
- 2 (15.5-oz) cans black beans, undrained
- 2.5 c. chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Saute onions, carrot and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add beans, broth and dry spices. Stir together.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with sour cream or cheddar cheese, if desired.
Serving Size about 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7.4 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 g
Unsaturated Fat 5.7 g
Cholesterol 4.6 mg
Sodium 23.8 mg
Total Carbohydrates 28.2 g
Protein 12.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Do you have a favorite healthy soup? Share the recipe with us in the comments! We’d love to make it and try it for ourselves, especially while the weather is still chilly.
If you enjoyed this Spicy Black Bean Soup, you should also try: