We’re back with another smoothie recipe! This time we’ve made a deliciously tart and refreshing Kiwi Smoothie Recipe with banana and lime. You can adjust the tartness to your taste; use only a little lime juice or a lot! It makes a wonderful healthy snack or a yummy breakfast on the go.
Note: This post was updated 7/4/2019 to add additional tips and health benefits. Enjoy!
Kiwi Banana Smoothie
Surprise, surprise… I’ve made a smoothie that doesn’t involve strawberries! I know… I’m just as shocked as you are. Truth is, my favorite smoothie recipes are made with them, but I’m a gal who likes tart and sour things, so I thought I’d work a little more with citrus for some summery smoothies. This kiwi banana smoothie turned out amazingly well.
And it wasn’t even my idea! I made adjustments to a recipe from Fork Knife & Love. The only changes I made were to adjust for only 2 servings (so I halved the recipe), but I doubled the lime juice (because I like things tart once in a while) and the yogurt. It’s sooooo good, y’all.
My only regret was not throwing in some spinach to make it a little greener. I don’t know why I was expecting green… kiwi isn’t that colorful, and only the juice of the lime was used. So, if you prefer yours greener, add spinach.
Kiwi Health Benefits
I didn’t realize just how nutritious these little fruits are! Did you know that one cup of kiwi contains…
- 552 mg of potassium… more than a small banana! Potassium is important for keeping fluids in balance in the body and for controlling blood pressure.
- 5 g fiber
- more than 270% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant and helps repair tissues in the body
- 89% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin K, which helps with blood clotting and absorption of vitamin D.
Nutritional stats from LiveStrong.
Of course, adding that banana adds in even more potassium, so if yours is low, this kiwi smoothie recipe is a great breakfast or dessert to help you increase the potassium in your diet.
A word of warning… I know that the seeds from kiwifruit make some people feel like their mouths are itching or burning. You can see from the pictures that there are a lot of seeds, and the fact that they get chopped in the blender seems to exacerbate the itching/burning for people who are sensitive to kiwi (like my husband). If I were making this for him, I’d only cut the outer flesh of the kiwi and leave out the part of the flesh with the seeds.
But let’s get to the recipe…
Creamy Kiwi Smoothie Recipe with Banana and Lime
Kiwi Banana Smoothie
- 2 kiwifruits peeled and chopped
- 1 banana peeled
- 1/2 cup milk almond, soy, dairy (whatever your preference is)
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup ice
- Peel and cut kiwis and banana. Add them to the blender along with the lime juice, milk, yogurt, and ice.
- Pulse and blend for a minute or two, until ingredients are mixed and smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Tips for a Better Kiwi Smoothie Recipe
If you freeze the kiwi and bananas (after they’re peeled, of course) for a couple of hours, you can eliminate the ice in this recipe. I often forget to freeze my fruit ahead of time, so I don’t mind throwing in some ice to get the thick smoothies that I like.
Make sure to cut your fruit into smaller pieces prior to freezing. This will make it easier for your blender to do the work, especially if yours is not a high-powered blender. We’ve been using this Ninja blender for several months now with great success… it’s a champ with frozen fruit!
If you want to add greens, like spinach or kale to this recipe, add the greens and liquid to the blender first, and blend until smooth. Then add the fruit and yogurt. This will ensure that you don’t have those pesky leaf chunks in your kiwi drink. No one likes leaf chunks in a beverage!
Looking for more kiwi smoothie recipes? Try this Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie on our smoothie site. It’s so refreshing!
If you enjoyed this Kiwi Banana Smoothie, you’ll also like:
Latest posts by Donella Crigger (see all)
- 14 First Day of School Traditions to Get Kids Excited About School - July 9, 2019
- Easy 3-Ingredient Oatmeal and Brown Sugar Body Scrub - June 17, 2019
- How to Clean a Glass Stove Top with Ingredients From Your Cupboard - May 28, 2019