Want a sweet Easter treat that’ll make a big splash at brunch or the family egg hunt? These Peeps Coconut Macaroons are just the ticket! Take your basic macaroon recipe, shape them into nests, add chick Peeps, and you’re all set with a stunning sweet snack for the kids.
With Easter coming up fast, I decided to make a cute snack for the kids based off of my favorite dessert: Besitos de Coco (Coconut Macaroons). This festive spin on a classic includes Nutella (who doesn’t love that stuff?) and everyone’s favorite marshmallows: Peeps.
Okay, so I don’t really care for Peeps, but the kids enjoy them, and they’re actually not too bad when they’re slathered with Nutella on the bottoms.
They’re so easy to put together. You can use the macaroon recipe we’ve included below or your own favorite version. My nests didn’t come out perfectly; I had to shape them by hand a little before and after baking, but I think people will get the gist of the idea when they see chocolate eggs or Peeps in the nests.
Let’s get to hat recipe, shall we?
Easter Peeps Coconut Macaroons
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 14 oz. shredded sweetened coconut flakes 5 1/2 cups
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 dash almond extract optional
- Nutella optional
- Preheat oven to 325° F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape the nests on the bottom of a greased muffin tin, and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Move to a rack to cool. You may need to adjust the "nests" a bit by hand to make them look better. Some looked better than others for us!
- Once cooled, add Peeps on top, or layer with Nutella and then a chick Peep.
This is a fun treat that the kids can help with — they make lovely food gifts for the neighbors! I’ve seen candy grass in the Easter aisles that would look great on them, too. Or you can pipe green frosting underneath to look like grass. There are so many different versions you can make with the basic macaroon recipe and some Easter candies.
And yes, I realize that the chick above looks like it’s crying. It was difficult to find one with two eyes. Some had three, some had one. So a crying little Peep it is. 🙂
If you enjoyed these Peeps coconut macaroons for Easter, you’ll also like: